Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Something for Everyone, a Comedy Tonight!

April 14th-15th, 2014

Yesterday was the night of the Smile High Club, and show number 11 of my 10 show challenge! Oddly it was also the first show purchased at the top of the semester, but better late than never.


My actor friend and I went over to this 9 o'clock performance to arrive thirty minutes early so they'd count our reservations. The Smile High Club is where they bring in guest comedians who have ranged from performers from Comedy Central to MTV, and a bunch of other cool brand names in the middle. Only expectation: laugh till I can't breathe, take a deep breath, and do it again.

It let out at midnight--longer than I expected, but fun and we definitely got our money's worth--and they had more comics come up than I've fingers on my hands. Some were really good! Others overly raunchy. Others just had their moments. There was no one who couldn't get us to laugh at least once, though, and each one of their bits lasted 5-10 minutes. For some reason there were maybe 5 other people in the audience from the US, everyone else ranged from Canada to Sweden in nationality. The host was from NJ, so we had a moment of bonding over that--I even got a laugh out of the audience, so I'm gonna count that as a win.

One of my favorite comics was a very tall woman who had a rant about how she didn't dress up as much as others, but when she did, people would frequently make comments like:

Friend: Oh my god! You look amazing--I didn't recognize you!

Her: Thank you...?

So once she'd been in this bar but left her makeup at home, and a very drunk girl came up and said:

Drunk: You kinda look like my ex-boyfriend...

Rude to say of course, but the comedian let her down easy.

Her: Well, you've gotten fat since we broke up.

Overall a good night and nice weather to walk in!

While on weather, bummer for all you folk who got Random Snow this week. NYC doesn't have that problem, although it did rain today and the wind was not having it with umbrellas.

I've still been trying to practice through my sales pitch, and hopefully that'll be put to good use very soon, and reading some more manuscripts. I found another I really like, so we'll see what happens with it!

Meanwhile, my supervisor seems to have been chatting with some of her publishing friends about me--HOW COOL!

I've scheduled a meeting with one of them from Orbit Books for next week. The other one I'll be back in the city some time early in the summer and arrange a meeting with her, which is way super exciting. It makes the end of my program seem less final, because I'm making contacts here that'll give me a reason to come back, you know? I just got to keep it up at least until I graduate in December--there might be hope for me in a job market somewhere, yet!

And tonight on the docket: Teen Wolf and Chinese takeout! 

No comments:

Post a Comment