Sunday, March 9, 2014

Another Lovely Weekend in the Neighborhood

March 8th-9th, 2014

Before I talk about yesterday's Family-Mine Shenanigans on Broadway, I want to acknowledge why today is a very particular happy occasion and a big part of who I am today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!!!!!!!

That's right! It's my father's 55th birthday! And without this special day, I wouldn't be me! And I kind of like being me. So it's a pretty big deal.

And in honor of the joyous occasion, the whole immediate family plus my brother's friend--who looks a lot like Dean from Brad Bird's Iron Giant, but with a little more beard--all came to NYC to celebrate and see Aladdin on Broadway. It's still in previews, so I didn't get my dad the CD like initially planned for his present, specifically for the reason that being in previews means that the CD hasn't even been recorded yet. I ended up getting him the soundtrack to Cinderella since that was the last show we saw together.

I love all things Disney--most of all, their animated stuff--and Aladdin is definitely one of their classics. I loved being able to see this show; the costumes were fun, the whole experience great, and I think my dad had a really good birthday. See? Look how happy he is! Poppa Shash and me and Aladdin! (Photo courtesy of Momma Shash.)


But, if you can only see one Disney on Broadway and are torn between Aladdin, Lion King, or Beauty and the Beast, then I'd wait on Aladdin and see one of the other two. Shows can change a lot if you give them a few years, and even though Aladdin is super fun and I'm not saying DON'T see it, I don't think it's quite as ready as the other two. They are different from the movies, and so is Aladdin, and they have more songs and great voices, costumes, staging, etc...but above all, they have a level of seamless-ness to them that Aladdin doesn't yet. Although the magic carpet scene is freaking amazing AND the original voice actor of Jafar, Jonathan Freeman, has come back 18 years later to play the wicked sorcerer on stage. He was lovely--and surprisingly a very white man.  

We also took advantage of the gorgeous weather to walk along the High Line. The High Line used to be a railroad track. Now, it's a really pretty second level of road to walk on and be surrounded with art and commissioned graffiti panted on the surrounding buildings. In ideal weather like this weekend, this is a gorgeous place to meander, albeit a bit crowded because everyone else feels the same way. I ended up going back by myself today, too.

After, we went to the Chelsea Market and picked up a snack at Sarabeth's Bakery (freaking awesome cheesecake and crazy delicious creme brulee--high expectations, I know, but I love what I ate and I'd go back for more another day) while waiting for my brother and his friend to go get pizza at Artichoke Pizza down the block. (Also delicious, by the way.) 

After the show, my parents and I went to a coffee shop. Remember when I said I wanted to write a children's book for my final project? Momma Shash took a look at one of the early drafts, and talked about it with me over a mocha and a Diet Coke. In my experience, I have never had someone make my papers and grammar bleed red ink more than this woman, which is why I hold inhuman standards for anyone else who offers to edit my work. It's fine. I don't hold it against them!

I have a lot more work to do on it, and now I have a clear direction to go. Or clearer, and I'm okay with that.

Before my parents drove back, we went to Friedman's for dinner. Mildly pricey, but they had really good food and were super nice about letting my mom and I split a meal. They split it up on separate plates aesthetically for us instead of handing us an extra one to divvy up the food ourselves, and didn't charge us extra. We also ended up running into the family of a kid I went to high school with. Given how many people are all crowded into the space that is NYC, I am consistently surprised how many times I seem to come across people that I know. I wonder who I'll find next? I hope they're famous. Then I'd be proud of myself for recognizing their face out of context. Normally I'm REALLY bad at that. I'd totally never realize Clark Kent was Superman. At best I may think "Wow, they sort of look similar. Go, Clark!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment