Monday, March 17, 2014

I Swear the Lapse in Posts is Unintentional

March 10th-March 17th, 2014

Well, for starters, HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! No really. It's a fun day. Once in high school some random woman wanted to buy me a drink because I have an Irish name. She didn't though because 1, high school; 2, we were no where near a bar; and 3, even if she had bought me a St. Patty's Drink I had never seen her before and my mild paranoia would not allow me to ingest gifts from her, no matter the holiday. People are strange.

And you know who's festive? THIS girl! I wore green and ate Lucky Charms. It may not be stumbling down the streets of NYC through a green-beer drunken haze kind of festive, but I'm good with it.

What did get a little too exciting was a mouse in our room at 3 AM this morning trying to find little crumbs to nibble in our trashcan. I think the little guy's presence broke my roommate's calm. That in mind, I sort of hope that the brand new traps in our room never go off. We are definitely going to be way more meticulous about what goes into our bins so that it doesn't attract Mickey to come back.

After work today, I met up with my adviser at O CafĂ© on 12th St. and 6th Ave.-- some pretty good cappuccinos there. The barista made the foam in the shape of a scalloped heart, and to all you purists out there, I'm not sorry to say that I add sugar. In the raw. So there. But adding sugar did mean I had to destroy the foam-art. Oh well. Doesn't matter. Had coffee. Anyways, he was checking in about my internships, and then suggested I check out the Strand Book Shop while I was nearby. I had already had a recommendation to go there from a previous NYArts student from my school, and had actually been talking to someone about needing to go there last night. So of course I had to go there.

And naturally, my wallet cried when it realized how beautiful the shop is (and to top the unfairness, it's right next to Forbidden Planet which is a big deal comic store), and then I found items that I don't need, but I must have. I bought an Old World Mythology: Myths and Legends of Europe, Africa, and Asia--really who wouldn't want to catch up on the adventures of Pwyll and the Goddess Rhiannon (page 16)? Exactly why I wanted it--and I bought a moleskin storyboard notebook which is AWESOME.

I know what some of you are thinking. "What do you need a moleskin storyboard notebook for? They're just pages covered in boxes, and besides, you're not an aspiring animator!" Well, Fun-Killers, it's an activity that makes me happy enough to spend $18 on a book that is unlikely to ever leave my desk. Besides, when my filmmaker brother gets famous maybe that'll give me an "in" to have some of those doodles go somewhere near the big screen. Or the small screen. Or any screen. It's fun regardless.

And, when I walked in, I found this poster and it's kind of great:

 

 And that's just today! Brace yourselves, friends, this is post is going to be an epic! (Epic as in long journey. Feel free to take bathroom or snack breaks. I won't feel bad.)

This weekend, a few visitors came to the city. First, my roommate's Texan parents came in and took a bunch of us to dinner at French Roast--it's a really cozy place that's not too fancy but still far from run down. And besides they've got some really good coffee there. And burgers. Don't forget burgers.

My brother was also in town because my mom had a hotel room reserved for a conference that she never ended up needing, so my brother took it instead. We had a really decent brunch, then went to see The Grand Budapest Hotel which is a very cute, beautiful, yet somewhat dark movie. It's done by the same director who did Moonrise Kingdom, and his style is written all over this movie, too. Basically that means an awesome cast, storybook cinematography with the pastel colors from the neighborhood in Edward Scissorhands, and goofy situations played with the utmost seriousness. After that, we didn't really mean to, but we ended up going back to the hotel under the pretense to pick up my brother's jacket, and we both napped through the afternoon instead and did not wake up until 5:00 pm. Oops. At least it was much needed! And it left us plenty of time to go for a long walk from 46th to SoHo for dinner at Bubby's Burgers.

I am super glad I actually got to go back to Bubby's since the first time I was there and was too full to actually try one of their burgers. I'd made plans several times before, and they just never happened. And when I got a piece of sour cherry pie, my brother had told me he wouldn't share it but he'd have a bite and promptly forgot his promise and ate at least half of it. It was that good. Captain Cadaver (remember her?) she is a super taster. That means that her taste buds are more sensitive than your average person, and she can take a bite of a thing and pretty much tell you exactly what's in it. I immediately wanted this power while eating that pie. Oh well.

After, we walked over to Union Square Theatre where we saw a show that was originally described to me as "naked Cirque du Soliel". That is of course an exaggeration. The performers had at least spandex booty shorts at all times. But I would still go as far as to call it a "Sexy Circus". The ring master introduced one of the acrobats with "And this one goes out to all you ladies out there...and from the looks of the audience, probably quite a few of you men, as well!" The routine was an extremely chiseled and attractive man wearing jeans only and sitting in a bathtub while a rope was lowered from the fly lines, and he used it to hoist himself up to do all these really awesome (and intentionally sexy) acrobatics that included a splash zone. There were no pictures allowed of the actual performance, but here at least is a look at the space it's in:



Now back to Captain Cadaver, she and Booth came up to visit on Monday for spring break. So when I got off work we three met up for dinner. Mostly that meant meandering around SoHo in the direction of the house and stopping to ogle a menu if a place looked interesting enough.

The place that looked most "interesting enough" was The Meatball Shop. The Meatball Shop allows you to build your own meatball meal whether that means between bread or on top of something like pasta, whichever decision with your choice of sauce. And there were puns everywhere about "balls". For instance, if you want to add an egg to your meatball sandwich, that option is called adding the "family jewels". If you don't get it, good on you--stay pure. But that is precisely what I ordered, and look at that beauty (and a salad! See? Healthy.) :



I will be visiting the Cap'n and Booth in DC at the end of the month. It's gonna be awesome. I've already been promised a fieldtrip to Baked and Wired; it's a delicious cupcake place that is better than Georgetown Cupcakes or something.

The days between those adventures, involved Torn Page setting up the classroom with higher camera tech and movie lights so it actually felt like a set, several manuscripts and reviews at DAW, and a farewell to the Kalamazoo students on Wednesday. They actually had another week after that, Wednesday was just so there was little stress and a party in the basement for them to show off their final projects.

And actually there was more to DAW this week than what "several manuscripts and reviews" suggests. For starters, I was shown the Penguin Employee Bookstore. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like, and we get pretty decent discounts on whatever is in there. Whether I want a Penguin sweatshirt for $10, a mascot plushie for $11, or actual books for...well, I don't remember the percentage off. I think it may be about 60%.

AND.

I went to my first ever sales pitch! It was much briefer than I had imagined. Each editor pitches her own book, which makes sense, and then the sales people nod or ask questions. And you feel super connected when people are like "Oh yeah, I can get Barnes&Noble on the phone no problem." I'm paraphrasing. But still. A cartoon would have her set in a high backed chair at an enormous desk, petting a fluffy white cat with a sly grin on her face, a big cigar sticking out of her mouth, and some pretty awesome looking aviators to reflect just how many connections she's really got. Like to Barnes&Noble. Oh yeah.

AND.

I got to check out a TOTALLY TOP SECRET MANUSCRIPT. I mean, that's why publishing houses are so big. They're full of secrets.

But in all seriousness, I was asked to take a look because I hadn't read any of this author's other stuff before. So that pretty much meant that for the first several pages, I was quite lost. I was the only one in the office with zero idea who this character is or where the character is or why the character is there. I like to think I caught on pretty well to who the character is supposed to be and the gist of the location. It was written well, and I even got to scribble notes in the margins in my fancy-pants red pen! But the author's other books are definitely on my reading list. It'll be interesting to get to know the character after this first, backwards glimpse.

So there is the epic that was this past week. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment