Thursday, July 16, 2015

Motivation

July, 16, 2015

Four applications sent, and one to go!


My life is gradually getting back to some kind of order. I met with clients this week about freelance projects, I've been putting some thought to looking into business cards, and maybe one day a website to market myself better as an editor...

Still applying of course--I still want my own cubical, but there are plenty of publishing people who do freelance work on the side, like copy editing. And I've been reaching out to contacts, and I have some marvelous friends looking out for me to make me more contacts as well.

But motivation to keep pushing myself towards these things hasn't always been as high as it should have been.

One of my good friends suggested I make myself a motivation chart or collage. What is a motivation chart? It's where I write a box that says "What Motivates Me", and then I branch out like a family tree to give myself examples of things that motivate me to work aggressively towards getting that first time job. Like:

  • Activating new levels of adulthood
  • Getting my own cubical
  • Getting my own kitchen (apartment)
  • Saving money for fun things after I've gotten the boringly necessary things out of the way (utilities!)


You get the idea.

The motivation collage is a little different. It is meant to function the same as the chart, or list above, but is full of mostly images instead. I think what my friend had in mind was that I cut out magazine clippings, and while that sounds fun, I will admit I was lazy enough not to want to go find magazines to vandalize, and instead stayed at my computer and opened up a word doc.



ZERO of these images are mine, I really just googled for key words, some of which were more specific than others--for instance, I specifically looked for peach pie, as well as searched for a picture with a cat and a piglet in it. Because I love pie and it'd be nice to get my work life in a place in which I can indulge in happy food like pie. And because I really want to someday own a cat--since I do not know how long I psychologically can last without having a cat--and a pig because pigs are awesome. I can do a whole post devoted to what I presume owning a pig will be like based on what I've read. I'll save it for when I've met someone in person who has a pet pig and does not simultaneously live on a farm.

Only thing I'll say about it now, however, is that the piggy there is a baby and it is really misleading when someone is like "oh yes I have this adorable tiny tea cup pig pet, it'll look this way forever" because it will NOT look that way forever, even the tea cup piggies grow to be about 60 something pounds. (If someone knows better, please let me know, but regardless: they are not going to stay small enough to sit in your tea cup unless you drink from a monstrous sized tea cup like one of those rides at Disney.)

Also yes that is Zhu Li in the upper right. When I get my own cubical I intend to frame a picture of the awesome lady with the phrase "DO THE THING" to motivate me to be even a fraction of the assistant she is in the show.

Now when I see the collage, I can see all in one place a wonderful reminder of what all I'm working for. Try one out for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment