Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week Four

February 4th-9th, 2014

What I learned most notably this week is that being prepared for rain is not also equal being prepared for slush. And unfortunately this week, there was an awful lot of slush.

Word of advice if you find yourself in NYC on a slush day: Every puddle is deeper than it looks.

It is an even more prominent observation when the subway you take every day is out of power, so is your back up subway, and there is standstill traffic that make both bus and taxi routes longer than walking to your destination. More specifically, I trudged through the slosh 35-40 minutes to my internship. My toes were definitely wet by the time I finally showed up, although however late I was my supervisor only beat me by five minutes, and a lot of other people in the office couldn't get there at all because of the conditions. Also the building was technically under emergency, the day must go on! Upside we got let out early.

AND AND AND--there is a relatively unlimited hot chocolate, tea, and coffee packets and hot water and cups in the office which is really super exciting! Other exciting food thing: in addition to the usual fleet of food trucks that hover outside the Random Penguin building, (Random House and Penguin merged and share this building, so Random Penguin it must now be named!) there was a freaking waffle truck. Conveniently, I hadn't eaten breakfast yet AND I had 10 minutes to spare. LOOK HOW CUTE THE MINI WAFFLE IS.



Inside DAW, everything was pretty low-key. Since neither editor could make it through the snow, the meeting that the other intern and I were going to have got pushed to next week. Other than that I updated some missing book synopses and checked out a couple manuscripts. One of the coolest articles I came across for the newsfeed this week was a post about "Sensory Fiction".  It's a book that makes you literally feel what the protagonist is going through. I can't see how that would always be a good thing--I mean, Harry Potter, for instance, goes through a LOT of stuff I have zero interest in feeling. But it's still pretty cool: Sensory Fiction

The best part of the week was my supervisor's birthday; not only did we eat chocolate cake, but we spent the last 45 minutes at work having a full-office discussion about the many portrayals of Sherlock Holmes, and the unanimous favorite being Benedict Cumberbatch.

And for my other internship...

Some nights I stay up...! Nope. No rest of the song. Some nights I seriously just stay up. That said, it was worth it to do so for Torn Page this week because that script I had been helping type up in past weeks was finally sent in to the New York International Fringe Festival. Which is pretty cool. And for those of you who don't know what it is, check it out: http://www.fringenyc.org/ 

It's basically this big 16 day long party of thespians and performances at more than 20 venues. It's kind of a big deal. The BIGGEST deal for the arts because it's the largest multi-arts festival in North America. So it'd be pretty amazing for this script to get accepted.

The classes have finally started up, too, which means that I'm helping set up to make sure they run smoothly whether that means note taking, filming, setting out chairs, pulling up scripts, whatever. The actors seem pretty cool so far, and one sorta looks like a younger Ethan Hawke (fun fact: I know E.H.'s grandma from church--and she's a really fly lady) or sort of like Robert Pattinson. Odd comparison, but I swear it makes sense.

And he's a Hugger.

I admit it took me off guard. Ultimately I very seriously don't mind, but I think all hugs should be "good hugs" and that requires a certain amount of pressure/effort in the embrace so it's not like you've got a rag doll flopped over you. Like a dead-fish-wrist handshake. Nobody likes those BUT. "Good hugs" tend to happen after knowing the person. If I don't know you, I don't particularly see why I'm being touched. He is really nice though, and that just seems to be a thing he does. I'll let it alone. Also. Ethan-Robert-Hawke-Pattinson.

On the note of awkward, I had my first ever figure drawing this week. Oh yeah. Real live naked people you stare at for several hours and try never to make eye contact. Woo!

And honestly, it wasn't awkward at all and was really cool. Besides, being in a basement surrounded by legit art students, I'm proud I held my own even to the extent I did! I'll not be showing my whole sketchpad, of course, but here is one of my favorites:






I proudly say my "skills" come solely from doodling in notebooks. BUT CERTAINLY NOT WHILE IN CLASS I'D NEVER DO THAT. *exaggerated coughing jag intensifies*



This weekend I caught up with my Brother in Brooklyn, and had another subway adventure in which I met a DJ who is intimidatingly tall, has dreads, bandannas, low-riding jeans--the works--and he struck up a conversation about birthstones and zodiacs. My birthday's in June, so my stone (not really a stone, but eh) is a pearl, and my zodiac is cancer. He is an amethyst, but he DJs with a legit cancer, who is super creative, but very sensitive because if he's pushed too hard about something, DJ Amethyst doesn't hear from him for about a week. DJ Amethyst also appreciates the finer, classier details in life. He really was a quite lovely individual to talk to for a spell, and there was a guy on the other end of the subway jamming some Christian Rock music on his acoustic guitar. By far my favorite subway ride yet.



1 comment: