Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Toby Day(e/s)

February 15th - 20th, 2014

I didn't go outside all weekend until Monday afternoon because my dad needed to get the cars inspected. Turns out it was also an unnecessary expedition because of the holiday, so it was a swift trip right back to my couch to continue binge reading Toby Daye books. The shame was in that it was gorgeous weather despite the snow and my cold, but I didn't want to tempt fate or my immune system for a walk. 

As far as any other kind of "movement" over the long weekend, when I was reading One Salt Sea, Toby Daye was eating pancakes. So I decided that I needed pancakes. And I made blueberry pancakes. They were awesome. I will have to make them again to better appreciate how they taste when I regain a sense of smell.

Due to how married I was to Tissue Box and its sister-wife Hand Sanitizer, I did end up requesting a sick day. I would have otherwise been an unfortunate person to work near.

Oh, and before I forget I must suffer you to understand how awesome my cat is. Every time I woke up in the middle of the night she hopped up beside me and meowed in my face, then sat with me until I fell back asleep. In truth she was probably bored and hoped to goad me into feeding her. But I'm choosing to believe that she was mothering me to get better and to make sure I was okay. What a regal little ewok.


Later on Tuesday, I did manage my way back to the city and got to meet up with my equally not-as-sick-as-before-but-not-quite-100%-well friend who is already on break. Lucky jerk. 

Probie and I are friends from high school (believe it or not his nickname is at least 7 years old. We like NCIS.), and I am pleased to be the first of our high school friends to meet one of his college friends! Ain't I special? 

We went to Kobeyaki for burgers--and my verdict is that they are cute and spherical and fairly tasty. But I like their teriyaki bowls better. Afterwards at Argo for tea is where I met Miss Viola Health-Kick (because she plays viola and studies human health...or something health related. Like that. Yep. She's pretty fly). We stayed until closing, story swapping. Love those kinds of evenings. I've always been a story person, if you haven't guessed it by now.


WEDNESDAY. Finally back to work!

Good timing too. Why? Well. Not only did I gather myself a handful or so of more books--including the last available Toby Daye book--BUT. Seanan Mcguire came to the office today.

Yep. Met a real author. In the flesh. Because apparently my mom and aunt don't count because I knew them before I was aware they did cool things. As it is, I am pleased to make the acquaintance of the creator of the fantasy universe of which I have quite recently become a fan. I especially love Tybalt, King of Cats. I want one of those for Christmas. (Family members reading my blog: to clarify, I am objectifying an extremely attractive fictional character of whom it is impossible to actually receive for Christmas. But I LOVE your enthusiasm!)

I am not totally sure what Ms. McGuire is working on with the editor, but I can at least assure you that it's PROBABLY secretly book related. I think I saw her holding paper once. I'm observant like that. Also, surprisingly, despite Toby Daye's love affair with all things coffee, when it came time for a coffee run, Ms. McGuire got hot chocolate instead. I respect her decisions because hot chocolate is also delicious. But. Now I want to know who she knows with a coffee addiction that gave inspiration to the character. Everyone knows somebody like that. For me it's my aunt. The author one. (http://www.katebrady.net/ for you curious people out there. If you're really into youth ministry books, you're odd, but that's cool and I can send you links to my mom's stuff if you want). I don't actually know if my other aunt is partial about her coffee. Maybe she's a tea person.

Now, to the Bat Fax!

I mean my seminar.

The marketing director of the biggest independent publishing house in the English speaking world came as a guest, and I had actually expected her to talk more about what that was like. Actually, she calls that her "day job" and does about a bazillion other things and indie projects like in film stuff, too. AND she manages 8 hours of sleep a day. How? Trade secret, I guess.

She is one of those people who discovered that college wasn't for her and went right in to working hands on for projects she wants to. She's living proof that it's possible to get where you want to be through odd jobs, favors, and being a self-made professional of social networking. For those kinds of people, yeah, college doesn't make sense. You can spend your time and efforts doing different useful things. I am not one of those kinds of people, and need to learn other skills to get me somewhere in the job market. Time will tell how well I did--but for now I have the internships I got in which I will hopefully make a good impression or two, and that is good enough for me!


And news via Torn Page:

I have taken many. Many. Theatre classes. Situational hazard of being a theatre major. Who knew? Even though my concentration is backstage, I've had my share of acting classes as well, and I remember doing "silent scenes". This is the first time, however, that they've been described to me as "internal monologue scenes". That makes way more sense.

Communicate with your eyes is essential. And there's a huge art to it. I don't mean acting--of course there's an art to that. People are paid to have that kind of art. I mean in normal human interaction. It's natural, though, because it comes from how you understand people and pick up their social cues. A lot of it comes from how well you know somebody, like how spouses seem to read each other's mind and have a silent conversation for several minutes without misunderstandings. But they're not mind reading, they're reading the body language that is a specific thumbprint or flavor to that person.

Actors make it into a real art because they don't just have to have these silent understandings with people who know them well, they have to be able to do that to a whole freaking audience! Become universally understood and look natural doing it. That's hard, man.Think about silent films.No wonder Talkies kind of sucked before they could perfect the concept of body language balanced with verbal communication!

Clark says that one of the most important parts of acting at all is to remember to take your time. Actors who rush to please others risk throwing out the identity of their characters, and they will lose everything. You need time to have the will and the determination to figure out what is strong about yourself--that's what connects all the pieces, the tasks and the actions within the scene that lead to your super objective/need/goal.

Neat, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment