Monday, February 3, 2014

Snowmageddon Strikes Again

February 3rd, 2014

Well for starters, I'd like to say a BIG BIG BIG

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

To my best friend from home, who is rarely but fondly referred to (by me) as Captain Cadaver--it's clever because she studies forensic anthropology. Shut up. I'm hilarious. But yes, Cap'in is a smart one! Always has been. "Bones" is an equally acceptable title. Because both TV series Bones and the Star Trek franchise are great. She agrees. 

So happy 21st you dead-thing-and-pottery-sherd* scientist, you!

*I was informed that it's pottery sherd because "shard" is for bone or glass. Technicalities. Thanks for the note Bones and Booth! (I've decided Cap'in's significant other can be Booth because it still fits the fandom humor and he does electrical things. Like Edwin Booth. BAM. HISTORY JOKE.)

In other news, it's BACK:

The snow has returned! Silly of me to think the lovely 40's that graced the weekend were there to stay. At least it looks pretty on the trees. You can't really see it here, but from the morning until around 4:00 the snow was coming down like being blasted with confetti continuously over anywhere you stepped. Down in the subway when it had all melted it looked like I'd just come out of the pouring rain. 

DAW duties today were all housekeeping. First I sent out the pub newsfeed throughout the office; mostly the internet buzzed about J. K. Rowling "sinking a ship" because Hermione wasn't supposed to end up with Ron at all, and she sort of regrets letting that happen. Whatever. That's what the internet is for: multi-universes when we don't like what happens in books or shows. Then I was to update social media. 

Uh-oh! Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr--HOW DOES ONE HASH-TAG?!

Actually I didn't do Twitter today, I was just on Facebook. As for hash-tags I get the gist, but I'm not sure I'd actually use it right on twitter. Unfortunately my hash-tag skills are stunted because I'm too far gone in the nasty habit of punctuation. Back in MY day the hash-tag was called "pound" or "numbers' sign". There will come a day that the next generation or two will discover the remains of a Nokia and question how old Twitter really is since the phone clearly has a hash-tag button. 

DAW was a little behind in their social media, so I just pulled together albums of book releases from December to February so that the Facebook group showed all the pretty cover art plus descriptions with the title, author, an exciting blurb, an exciting quote, and a link where to buy the book.

Here, check it out on Facebook and you can see how pretty I've made some of the things, or you can just like the page because it's cool: https://www.facebook.com/dawbooks?ref=br_tf

February's is really exciting, actually, because tomorrow is a Pub Day. That means that any February book is available to the public that day, and the new fancy title highlighted this month is C. S. Friedman's Dreamwalker. I'll be doing a few posts on the Facebook page tomorrow about it, too. 

I have read enough publicity for this book that even though I have never read it, I can pretty much guarantee that it's going to be a very interesting and cool read if you're interested. (Buy/look at it here: http://bit.ly/1aWTiUl)  

Speaking of social media, I confess that I joined a site called http://www.meetup.com/. It's not angled as a dating site, although I'm sure that's what some people are there for, but it's meant to be a social gathering shtick. I say: "I like movies and dinner." Suddenly there's a ton of groups showing up on search that all focus around dinner and a movie. There are sometimes hundreds of people in each group, and there's a calendar set up with events. Like on Friday, I'm going to see the Monument Men movie (the one with George Clooney in WWII trying to save art treasures from the Nazis). There are about 65 other people who said they're going to see it, too. We're in charge of getting our own tickets, but then somehow we're meeting up afterwards for dinner to talk about it. I've also signed up for a group that does walking tours around the city and each one is $1 or so, and those events are first come first serve, so I'm actually on a waiting list to go to some Chelsea art galleries. But hey--$1! I can do that. The other group I'm in is a tea lover's group. One of the events they're going to is the Tea and Coffee Festival at the end of March. That sounds SO fabulous I sent the link to my housemates to see if we can actually make it a house event instead. You really shouldn't be surprised when it's a house full of art kids and half or more adore tea while the others have their coffee fix and go weak at the knees every time they pass a barista. It's a two-day affair, and I fully intend to go at least one of those days. In the meantime, this site seems like the way "real world" people make friends. Can't hurt to check it out, and at least I'll get to see a little more of the city that way.

Because of the snow, I actually got let out of the office a little early. Which was actually awesome because I had some housekeeping of my own to do. Mainly: laundry. 

Unfortunately several of my clothes are hand wash and/or no-dryer, so I really do need to set aside a chunk of time to do laundry. Also, it seems I will be hang-drying all of my clothes from now on because that poor dryer seriously needs to retire. Here are most of what DIDN'T get dry. In the dryer. Everything there hanging up. Plus some socks laid out on my desk thing. It is not worth paying another $1.25 or two to dry these things if I'm hanging up some of it like that anyway. So upside is I'll be slightly more economical now. Go green, save quarters! 

It is more significant that in this Snowmageddon I am no longer dangerously low on socks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment