Monday, January 20, 2014

Week One Status: Survived!

January 17th-19th

Because I had been blessed with practically two reading days before, Friday meant a lot of forms. Specifically for i09. (I did not previously know what this stands for nor what it is, but have since looked it up and apparently it's a blog started in 2008 that is geared towards fantasy, science fiction, and advances in science and technology. Neat.)

Basically what the i09 meant for me was making a list of all the books published by DAW for 2014 and arrange them in a chart by title, author, publishing date, publisher, age group, genre, and a brief summary. There were about 40 entries, all new and no reprints, though there were plenty of those as well. Towards the December end of the list some texts were still untitled, which is kind of cool because it gives you another glimpse to the behind the scenes part of making books. This experience also made me much more familiar with the DAW database that catalogs any and every bit of information they have about any book they've published or will publish within the foreseeable future.

I also hunted through the authors on the 2013 list for those living in the Pacific Northwest. There is an award given to the best author of SF/fantasy of the year for any authors living in that part of the US and Canada, and all they require from DAW is a list of names, five copies of every book qualified, and then somebody wins the award and $1000. I only pulled two names, but good luck you two!

Later (because the first two tasks took up most of the day) I looked through some catalogs for typos, and also looked around the shelves that I'd helped restock earlier that week. Why? Every so often, books are reprinted and there needs to be consideration taken about the cost effectiveness of new covers. I have never paid great attention to how different book covers are, not in art but in "effect".

Gloss is standard and means "no-effect" (and pretty much is just a flat, shiny surface).
Matte is the opposite.
Spot-gloss means part of the cover is shiny, whether it is the title, the author's name, or a specific character in the art meant to stand out.
Emboss means textured, or raised titles or something like a stamp.
Foil is a metallic leafing that's put usually over titles or author names.

I have now come to a higher appreciation for the printing process because it sounds way too complicated for the amount of books produced with all these different effects.

Fridays are great. Unless you want to go outside. If you have any regard for personal space or the air that you breathe, going outside on the streets of NYC between about 5:00 and 7:00 when everybody is getting off work to go home for the weekend, it is intense and don't do it.

I was actually meeting one of my high school friends at the bus station, and it turned out to be slightly more of a struggle than it should have --not just with foot traffic either; if the bus had let him off he probably could have walked to the station faster than the traffic was allowing the bus to move. I also accidentally walked into about five weed-clouds, which was four more than the average of the total week--so some people are really glad it's the weekend.

Actually, I was going to go home for a night or two this weekend. My mom signed us up for a one-day cooking class to make French macaroons. I had thought my friend was taking the bus back to his school that evening, but he doesn't start back until after MLK, and was in fact going back to our home town. Why not hop the bus with him? I only surprised my parents a little, and the response I got from my mother was:

"Ohhh!!! Awesome!!! But now I must clean!!!"

Because I've never seen my house messy ever, apparently. I love my mother, even when she's silly like that.

So not only can I now make some pretty delicious macaroons (at home after the class I ended up making a batch of lemon ones with lime butter cream. Jealous? Yes. Of course you are.), but I will be getting my DAW security badge next week. That does put a damper on befriending the security guard at the desk since I will no longer have a legit excuse to go over there. Bummer. I'll give him a macaroon on Tuesday as a parting gift, I suppose.

(Look how CUTE IT IS!!!)

I've also decided that my current favorite place to eat is a Japanese teriyaki  place near the house. Sweet, a little spice, and a big bottle of sriracha if you like it hotter. My friend and I ate there, and I witnessed his teriyaki bowl turn into soup with the amount of hot sauce he smothered over it. This place is also apparently known for their burgers, which I'm stoked about.

My supervisor at DAW and I actually bonded over the fact that burgers are our favorite food. We also share fandoms like Sherlock and Legend of Korra. Clearly she's awesome and I think I'm gonna like this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment