Saturday, January 18, 2014

Orientation The Sequel: Advisers

January 14th, 2014

Gathered together in a basement room of the Fashion Institute, the young agents students of the NYAP Spring semester were briefed on necessary rules and regulations regarding seminars and classroom etiquette, and the expectations of what each of the teams would be doing via documentation of the NY experience (ah-HA my blog is useful!) and final projects. Due next week: statement of my goals.

Goals? But I'd already decided to be too open minded to have these "goals". I'll just do whatever I'm asked and everything will be awesome and nothing will go wrong! FALSE. That is actually a blatant lie I may or may not have told myself.

That state of thinking bastardizes what open mindedness is meant for, and covers (poorly) the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing. (It is my consolation that that is exactly what I'm here for, actually. It's what most all of us are here for. What the heck are we doing with ourselves?)

My laid-back and calm facade discovered, I suppose I should figure out what exactly I want beyond "experiencing my English major in a professional setting" because, let's be real, that's too vague to function productively.

I want to love editing. Problem: love cannot be forced, so worst case scenario is that I don't love it, and that definitive result is just as good, so I'll take it! (Just means that I'll go exploring somewhere else. Again, worst case scenario.)

I want to make professional contacts. Good! Useful. (I can pretend I'm not socially awkward for fifteen weeks, right?) Mostly, who DOESN'T like stability or back up plans? Few first jobs out of college are what you're looking for as a dream job, I understand that reality. Contacts can help me in two ways: 1, skip some of the lamer jobs that don't fit my interests, or 2, find me something that will at least pay me until I find what I like. Cuz you gotta have friends! Da da da da da da da da da friends...! (I'm not sorry.)

I want to befriend the security guard at DAW. He just seems like a nice guy who deserves cookies. I don't know why. I get that needs-cookies-vibe from him.

I want to know how to get places and be navigation-savvy.

I want to be able to know where all the good/cheap places to eat are so I don't flounder non committal statements about where to go when asked.

I want to go to the Met and ask the curator about the science behind art forgery to help my research for a senior project about Han van Meegeren when I go back to school.

I want to cook non-instant food in one of the tiny kitchens in my building, but make it delicious.

I want to have seen 10 shows by the end of the semester without going broke in the process.

That'll do for now-- Don't let's be greedy, and eight ain't bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment