Sunday, January 12, 2014

City Bound

January 9th, 2014

      Tomorrow I head out--not by train, but by car--to New York City. I will be spending my spring semester with the New York Arts Program (NYAP).

      What is that? It's an opportunity for students of the fine arts to explore their passions in a professional setting from intensive acting classes and live performances to managing a show at an art gallery (or being in one) to creative writing with slam poets, or anything else on that spectrum. Coming from a liberal arts school, for me it's also a chance to pretend I'm somewhere between a conservatory for my major and participating the "real world" (post-college). AKA: a fifteen-week long internship.

      For the next fifteen weeks starting January 13th and ending April 26th, I will be interning at DAW Books, a publishing company that specializes in fantasy and science fiction writings, a company which also shares the building and publicity of Penguin Publishing. I'm sure there are other distinctions and/or intersections between the two, but those details I'll have to work out after day one.

      Additionally, I've a part-time internship with Torn Page, formerly named Page 22 Studios. This studio was founded by Geraldine Page and Rip Torn, proceeded by their son, and my soon-to-be-boss, Tony Torn. I've never been great at remembering celebrity names, but for all you Disney fans out there like me, Geraldine Page voiced Medusa from The Rescuers and Rip Torn voiced Zeus in Hercules. He is also Zed from Men in Black if you want a face-to-name reference.

      I will be working at DAW every weekday, and two nights a week I will also devote a chunk of my time to Torn Page, as well as occasional weekends for putting on shows. My understanding is that DAW will have me doing both some generic office duties as well as editorial ones, and that Torn Page will use me for some secretarial needs as well as sitting in on a screen acting class--in which I can choose to join in on activities or not. Let's be real, though, I'd be stupid not to. Greater detail in job descriptions will have to be determined after this next week.

      I applied to the NYAP to experience what my English major in a professional setting might be like, and to find out whether or not editing is a career I'd eventually like to pursue. If I love it, that's great! Then I'll hope that the contacts I make allow me to stay here, if not at DAW, then in the publishing/writing world elsewhere. If I don't like it--well, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. Or cross it. God knows... It's all quite terrifying for someone graduating next year.

     Who am I: I am a Theatre and English double major with a Renaissance Studies minor I picked up by accident; I go to school in the mid-west, though I live on the east coast; I will be working in New York City between two internships and a big writing-related project; and my recreational goal is to have seen 10 shows in the city before my fifteen weeks are up (without going broke in the process).

      Heart pounding, fingers crossed, and prepared to break BOTH legs, I pack for my life in the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment